Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Obama, Come Blow Your Horn!

Dear Mr. President,

As you know, we have over 130 species of creatures going extinct EVERY DAY! I find that staggering, I hope we humans aren't in that line!

In Barbara Kingsolver's new novel, FLIGHT BEHAVIOR there is a quote by one of the main characters, Ovid, who is a scientist and butterfly expert. He says, "What is the use of saving a world that has no soul left in it? Continents without butterflies, seas without coral reefs, what if all human effort amounted basically to saving a place for ourselves to park?"

That line struck me HARD! I wrote this song in response.


THY KINGDOM COME
words & music Donna Stjerna
for Gladys Tiffany & Barbara Kingsolver

I walked through the desert when the spring flowers were blooming
Their tiny faces raised in prayer, grateful for the rain
I've seen majestic mountains, rise up like an alter
Watched sunflowers bow their heads, across the fruited plains
In the belly of the mountain, where the min the finest marble
For the walls and polished floors, of cathedrals down in Rome
There I sang my songs of peace and they echoed through the temple
Reminding me this earth is my heavenly home!

This lovely blue marble spinning round and round in space
This glorious, beautiful, heavenly place...
Why do we wait for paradise to come?
Ain't it high time we treasure this EARTHLY KINGDOM?

I swam in the ocean with fishes they called angels,
In and out of coral reefs that have not yet been bleached white,
I've stood in a snowstorm, watching trees take communion,
In their lacy white gowns neath the northern lights.
And at the foot of the Redwoods, under green jeweled crowns
I felt diving salvation, deep down in my soul
There I sang my song of peace and it echoed through the forest
Reminding me this EARTH is our heavenly home. (Chorus)

At the edge of the world, where land touches sea,
I have watched a golden sunset and glimpsed eternity
This Garden of Eden, we hold in our hand
We raped and we pillaged with greed in command,
But we have the power to turn things around
Gabriel (Obama) blow your horn, we stand on sacred ground,
Let songs of Peace, ring down here below
Remind us that this EARTH is our heavenly home.  (Chorus)

1 comment:

  1. I like your artwork and activism. You go! Best wishes, Kevin

    ReplyDelete