Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Obama Drowning Man

Dear President Obama,

Do you ever feel like you are drowning? Wish someone would throw a life preserver? I think despair is a HUGE problem these daze! I think that many folks have a sort of 'environmental PTSD', myself included (at times).

These letters I've been writing are my life preserver. They have been good for my soul, sort of like when your write a letter to a friend or lover that your are having issues with and you NEVER send it. You just get to VENT and then burn or tear the letter up.

These letters are not changing anything but ME, they are helping me refocus, I just signed up for a week long workshop in New Mexico with one of my SHE-ROS (female hero), Joanna Macy. The workshop is on despair and empowerment. It's a mentoring program to learn how to deal with feelings of loss (species & environment) and how to help others. For me this is especially important for children. Here are the lyrics to another song I wrote on this subject of feeling 'overwhelmed'. I had just watched the movies...THE 11th HOUR and AVATAR and they threw me into a low place. This song was very cathartic for me. Maybe it can be a life preserver for others.

THE WAILING WALL
Words & Music Donna Stjerna Jan 16th 2010

I feel like a prayer scribbled on a piece of paper
crammed into a tiny crevice in the Wailing Wall
How can I keep my words from falling on deaf ears?
Is anybody listening? My voice seems small.
I feel like a boy with his thumb in the dike
holding back a river of fear...we've done so much damage
to our fragile planet...I can't hold back my tears.

CHORUS
So I huddle in the corner, curl up in a cozy blanket
Close my eyes, forgetting everything
For a little while I need to give in to the crying
Acknowledge all the pain and suffering
and THEN......get back up again.

I feel like the very list Passenger Pidgeon
Carrying a message to the world...or a Bald Eagle
scavenging for food, when it used to be the symbol
of the flag unfurled...remember as a kid
when you fell off your bike, bumped your head
cried & cried...Mama picked you up-kissed away the hurt
made you get back up and ride.     CHORUS

Rap Talking Part
I'm a Polar Bear standing on the edge of thin ice
not knowing which way to turn
I'm a Toucan perched on the edge of the forest
watching the canopy burn...
I'm a Pelican diving into Gulf waters
feathers oily and black
I can no longer hide my head in the sand
Time is running out fast!

I fell like I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve
Raw and unprotected...I can watch it bleed
bent and broken, I've been down on my knees
The weight of the world, pressing down on me
I know sometimes...a good hard cry
I just what I need to do...SO if you're feeling
what I've been feelin'...here's my advice to you...

Huddle in the corner, curl up in a cozy blanket
Close your eyes, forgetting everything
For a little while you need to give in to the crying
Acknowledge all the pain and suffering
and THEN......get back up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment