Friday, March 15, 2013

Obama Captain of the Ship

-->
Dear Captain Obama,

I love this quote by Martin Luther King Jr., “We did not all come over on the same ship, but we are all in the same boat!”

Wow, that is powerful!  My great grandparents came over on a ship from Finland. I love that this is a land of immigrants, a melting pot of cultures.  Even though I am American born and bred, my roots extend back to Scandinavia.  This boat called PLANET EARTH holds us ALL…Europeans, Africans, Asians, South Americans, Australians and our boat is listing.  It is taking on water!

The captain never abandons his ship, he’ll go down with it if he has to.  He will do everything in his power to keep the ship from sinking.

I think of you as our Captain…there are many ‘captains’ and crew steering this earth ship and they need to work together to keep it on course and sailing fine!

I was feeling rather down the other day, my alter ego ‘worried mom’ was sinking.  I wrote this song and it inspired this collage and letter.  Here are the lyrics:
 

SAIL AWAY
Words & Music Donna Stjerna March 2013

Tides are turning- woods are burning
My neighbor built a tornado shelter down the street
My compost pile- caught on fire
Hottest summer on record, unquenchable heat
The ice last winter made the branches splinter
So we piled ‘em up….like bird nests on the curb
Nobody’s listening to the North Wind whispering
Everything is so absurd
                                   
I wanna sail away,   I wanna sail away

We’re speeding down a mountain-Driving like a madman    
Speedometer on the dash- 105
We know what’s coming, we see the warnings
But ignore all the signs
We’re gonna swerve, when we hit the curve
Where the rocks are pouring down like rain
But if we slowed down, way on down
The outcome could change.

I wanna sail away,   I wanna sail away

The captain don’t abandon his ship he stays right at the helm
I’m gonna do the best I can…even though- I feel OVERWHELMED

So I’m gonna build me…a pirate boat
So I can float when the teardrops fall
It’s gonna help me stay the course,  help me through it all
It’ll be my anchor- my safe harbor…
Just like a…lighthouse in the dark
We need to listen to the North Wind whispering
And follow our HEART.
                                               
I wanna sail away,   I wanna sail away

No comments:

Post a Comment